Partridge Care Centre could face legal action from Care Quality Commission
A HARLOW care home has been warned it could face legal action from the Government’s healthcare watchdog unless it makes “urgent improvements” to the quality of care it provides to its elderly residents.
The Care Quality Commission has published a damning report on the Partridge Care Centre following an unannounced inspection conducted at the home in May this year.
Inspectors found that the centre on Partridge Road was “not compliant” with all national care standards assessed and have now given operator Rushcliffe Care until August 23 to put its house in order - or else face enforcement action.
The report noted that the home was not providing residents staying on the Mallard Unit - a specialist wing for residents suffering from Alzheimer’s and dementia - with appropriate levels of care to meet their needs.
Inspectors found that some residents did not receive their breakfast until after 11am, and highlighted concerns over substantial delays in staff supporting residents during their morning routine.
They also noted a “lack of meaningful activity provision and interaction” in the unit.
A CQC spokeswoman told the Star: “As a result of our inspectors’ findings regarding the regulation relating to the care and welfare of people who use services, CQC has issued a warning to the provider stating that improvements are needed.
“A deadline of August 23 has been set for the improvements to be made.”
She added that inspectors would return unannounced “in due course” to check whether the required improvements had been made.
“If the required improvements are not made within the set timescale, CQC has a range of enforcement powers, which include restricting the services that a provider can offer, or, in the most serious cases, suspending or cancelling a service.
“CQC can also issue financial penalty notices and cautions, or prosecute the provider for failing to meet national standards.”
It is the latest in a series of blows for the centre, which came under fire last year when former staff members and relatives of residents accused staff and management of a catalogue of abuse and neglect dating back several years.
The home also hit the headlines in 2011 when three of its elderly residents were admitted to hospital suffering from “diabetes-related problems.”
A subsequent police investigation was dropped when officers failed to find any evidence of criminal wrongdoing.
Harlow MP Robert Halfon, who has criticised the home in the past after being contacted by concerned relatives of its residents, said he was “deeply concerned” by the CQC’s latest report.
“The findings only relate to one unit at the care home, but this is still very worrying,” he said.
“I have spoken at length with the CQC and will be meeting with centre managment to discuss these issues further.
“It is imperative that the home’s residents receive the highest standards of care at all times.”
Rushcliffe Care refused to comment.
- Police search for teenager charged with Harlow rape
- Woman who collided with concrete bollard while walking home from pub in Harlow seeks £200k payout
- Retired Harlow maths teacher convicted of sexual assault on teenage girl
- Harlow residents urged to audition for Channel 4's Come Dine With Me
- Harlow Police renew witness appeal after victim, Jake Taylor, dies of unrelated medical condition
- 14 people appear in court on drugs-related charges following police raids in Harlow